Thursday, January 3, 2008

Decluttering the Mind




Each day, I need to review my thoughts, attitudes and actions and determine whether or not I've harmed anyone or need to make amends. When I refuse to acknowledge my part in any situation, I'm at risk of building up resentments and anger. Eventually, these will block me off from God and my fellows. A retreat leader once referred to these unresolved issues as 'tumors of unforgiveness'. Without resolution of these long-standing issues, my chances for peace and inner contentment diminish and I'm left with bitterness and a hardened heart.

In the past, the solution to anger or resentment towards a perceived offense or injury was to cut someone out of my life rather than deal with the conflict. I thought the problem would be solved by avoidance. The only treatment I've found to be effective is 'spiritual surgery'. God is the ultimate healer. I go to Him with an attitude of honesty, humility and a willingness to see the truth. If an amends is needed, I go to that person to reconcile the differences.

I'm trying to practice this in my daily life. It's not always easy to do. I enjoy being 'right' and feeling superior to others at times. When I look more deeply into these attitudes, underneath I uncover a deep sense of fear and insecurity. I ask God for tolerance of others opinions that may differ from my own. I ask for humility to see myself as I am through God's eyes. I ask for God to remove the fear of others opinions of me, the fear that I'm not enough or someone else if better or has more. I pray for an attitude of love and forgiveness for myself and others. When I live more in the Truth, I experience a greater sense of peace in my mind and heart.

No comments:

Total Pageviews